Monday, January 4, 2010

I Lost Myself in the Retweet

"I don't have anything interesting to say."
"The things I do in my life aren't that interesting."
"Nobody cares what I have to say."

If you ever happen to review my tweets on Twitter (prior to this post), you will see that I am a serial retweeter. I spread good information out to my tweeps from the many wonderful folks that I follow, and I've learned a lot. But scrolling down the page and seeing each post start with "RT @" gives me a few moments pause. Where am I in all this? Where are the things that I want to say to engage with the people who follow me? It's missing.

Almost immediately when I think about changing this, my head is filled with nonsense like the phrases at the start of this post. I hide behind those excuses. It is time for a swift kick in the arse.

If I am a writer (and in 2009 I laid claim to this status) than I should, in theory, have A LOT to say. So what's holding me back; why all the excuses? I could only draw one conclusion: I'm afraid. I'm afraid that people won't like me or what I have to say. Even worse, I am afraid that people may ignore me altogether.

But one of my writing goals (as it is for every writer) is to "Engage". This fear is doing nothing for me other than holding me back from my potential and forever keeping me in the boring status quo rut. My 2010 self has decided that it's time to put my big girl panties on. I will post more than just a RT on Twitter on a daily basis. I will find more engaging ways to use Facebook (without turning into the person who overshares- you know the one.) If I'm posting about things that are interesting and exciting to me, then at some point it will interest and excite others.

I'm going to go tweet something now.

No comments:

Post a Comment