Monday, July 20, 2009

The Fly on the Wall

I've spent the better part of the last 3 weeks or so immersing myself in learning about the tips, tricks, resources and networks out there for writers. There is so much that I am usually overwhelmed on a daily basis. My work-life balance is terribly out of whack, especially as it is supposed to be work (day job)-work (writing)- life balance that I am trying to achieve.

I have hunkered down you could say. I'm in student mode trying to feel out different paths that make sense. My Twitterverse is getting a little bit bigger everyday as I find new people to follow, and I've managed a small following of my own (51! Woot!). I inevitably feel like I need to say something clever if I'm posting an original tweet, so have found a level of comfort retweeting other things that I find interesting.

I joined She Writes because I thought the premise was cool, and I was looking to expand my network. (Most of the women tweet as well.) I love the idea of swapping ideas and tricks of the trade with other women. It feels very empowering.

I listened in on a radio interview with Windy Lynn Harris (@WindyLynnHarris on Twitter), an AZ based freelance writer, who gave some great advice on how to find different avenues to market your work. That lead me to start researching contests and other smaller venues which I had not thought to target.

So I'm digging the fly on the wall mentality for now, and soaking it all in. I am confident that soon I'm going to start making some sense of all of this wisdom, and that's when I'll really hit my stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment