Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Antidote to Procrastination

Someday is not a day of the week. - Author Unknown

I've taken this bit of wisdom to heart recently. I've spent a great deal of time evaluating and weighing my options for my future. I've made the inevitable lists, and experienced the self-doubt that I would not be able to do what I want to do. But I am driven forward by the unmistakable belief that this is my time. The waiting is over and the only thing left is action.

If and When were planted, and Nothing grew. - Proverb

I am tired of thinking about the "What if's" and the "If I only could've's". Regret is a distraction that I do not have time for, and it is empowering to think that the best is yet to come, if I only reach for it.

In my true procrastinator fashion, I have spent periods of time doing nothing, and had tremendous spurts of action that are changing my mindset from the inside out. Every time I see the result of what I've done (positive or negative) I am inspired to do more. And that is when it hit me. The way to break through procrastination is to be inspired to act.

Inspiration is around us everyday. Watching the Olympics is a great source of inspiration. You watch the athletes pursuing their dreams, and you celebrate their highs with them. Even in failure, they never stop driving towards the end goal. When you think about that single minded focus, especially if you don't have it, you feel pretty lazy.

I caught an episode of a TV series that I used to love last night. After watching it with more mature eyes, I had a million ideas race through my head for some new stories. I watch people moving in their own lives around me and I wonder where they are going and what is the most important thing in their life right now. My imagination overflows.

Eventually, when you feel that inspiration, your mind will hit critical mass, and you have no choice but to DO something with it. It drives you forward. It makes your heart sing. It is a high unlike any other.

Bring on the inspiration, and let's get it done.

Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow. - Gerald Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment